Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day post: remix: testimony!

My testimony on families has always been solid. I personally believe that one's very personality, lifetime, and choices are all affected enormously by circumstance and environment, which makes family all the more fragile and sacred. I can't fathom the responsibility two people feel as the head of a family.  It is their charge to ensure that the spirits they are blessed with have the best perspective on life as possible before they go out and make decisions.
Just yesterday, my good friend and I were talking about how if we had had different parents, how we would have turned out. She said if her parents were any stricter on her, she'd go crazy and rebel; but if they'd been anymore lax, she would have gone crazy without feeling of consequence. It's so true. I don't know how confident my parents were in their methods of parenting at the time. They probably felt guilty, insufficient, or not enough in their punishments or in giving me boundaries or advice. The miracle of it all is that it was enough. They didn't go too far in keeping me on a leash, but I sure as heck knew the leash was there. 
As I've gotten older, I notice what my parents did for me. I realize that I am because of them. Even in my false sense of independence, I realize that they are the ones keeping me independent. They quietly pass me money when I'm desperate and offer their basement as store with every visit. Heaven knows I've only bought toilet paper once for the past year. 
My parents are two of the most amazing people I've ever known. My mother is truly the sweetest woman alive, and I could go on and on about how much I worship her and how I love everything about her. But, it's Father's Day. So that will have to wait for Mother's Day, because I want to talk about my Dad.
Kim Paul is the funniest man I know. He doesn't even try. When he laughs, it's hilarious. His face gets red and his mustache twitches. I've never seen him laugh as hard as when he noticed someone on the news named Kim Paul Something get arrested, and remembering that that person was the son of a coworker my dad helped twenty something years ago, who named his baby after my dad in exchange. 
My dad is the most giving man I know. Completely selfless, he goes out of his way in a heartbeat for anyone and everyone. There are countless examples of the never ending service that he tirelessly gives to everyone at all times. So many have been blessed by this insanely talented man, and he never gives one indication of pride. If anything, he's one of the most modest men, in all things but mustaches and trucks.
My dad is the best dad in the world. I have always, always known with a fact that I had someone at my back. He calls constantly, and despite laughing in annoyance at times, I'm immensely grateful and humbled by the love he shows me. He protects me at all costs. If I'm ever having a hard time, or even slightly unlucky, he emotionally cuddles me right up and makes me remember how loved I am. He feels the pain with me and tries to console me. He spoils me rotten and I love, more than anything, making him proud. If I can find a man with as much strength, endurance, service, consideration, love, pride, and hard work as my dad, I will definitely be in the best of hands.
Families are one of the greatest blessings we have here on Earth. It astounds me how truly amazing Heavenly Father is, that he can coordinate and weave so many different elements into one solid existence, for billions of spirits. I can't imagine having a different or better dad, and I'll forever be grateful that Kim Paul is mine. Here's to the greatest parents someone could be so dang lucky to have!!! I love you both!

3 comments:

jenn said...

I think your parents are swell, too. They raised some of the nicest people I know. :)

Laura Burtis said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this SO much Tracie!! AMEN to all that you said! He really is THE best!! Love him and love you SO much!! I'm so grateful for our wonderful family!!

Kathrin Paul said...

Oh wow!! Nice work.